The condition of Americas’ schools and the health hazards posed by poor indoor air quality (IAQ).
According to CNN an estimated 14 million American children attend public schools that are in urgent need of extensive repair or replacement and have unhealthy environmental conditions, including poor air quality, unsafe drinking water and inadequate safety systems.
A national survey of school nurses found that 40 percent knew children and staff adversely affected by indoor pollutants
Indoor air affects more than health. A growing body of research suggests students also perform better in schools with healthier air.
“If you get an unhealthy building, you’re not going to have a successful
school,” said Lily Eskelsen, vice president of the National Education Association, the largest teachers’ union in the United States. “Asthma is the number one chronic illness that keeps kids out of school, and it’s growing,” Eskelsen added.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, indicates about one in 10 children in the United States now has asthma, which causes them to miss an average of four days of school a year.
According to TheDenverChannel.com, Dr. John Santilli, a Connecticut allergist, says he has treated dozens of students sickened by school air. Even when children don’t miss school, he said, the medications they take for asthma and conditions like rhinitis, an allergic reaction to mold or dust, can make it harder for them to do their best work. “They’re on antihistamines, they’re on nasal sprays, they’re on asthma medications, and this limits their ability to perform,” Santilli said. “These kids can’t concentrate. They can’t focus on what’s going on.” Dr. Santilli says about 20% to 30% of people are susceptible to mold or dust, which triggers an allergic reaction. The resulting symptoms can include itchy eyes, runny nose, coughing, headaches, fatigue, even memory problems and slowed thinking.
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), states that poor indoor air quality can cause illness requiring absence from school, and can cause acute health symptoms that decrease performance while at school. Researchers at the New York state Health Department found a correlation between building maintenance at the public schools and hospitalizations for asthma.
On a positive note, there are some school districts that are taking a proactive role in IAQ maintenance. Charlotte County School District in Florida, is doing their part and have implemented a “Green HVAC Cleaning” program to not only save energy but also to improve indoor air quality and mitigate long-term health risks and allergies associated with indoor air pollutants.
Indoor Air Quality /Mold Testing call 888.399.3994
The step to determining a indoor air quality issue may begin with a mold inspection and testing. The Water Damage Industry indicates that mold will began growing 48-72 hours (2-3 days) after water has damaged the building materials. Determining what parts of the building are wet and how wet they are, will help you or your professional decide on the proper methods for restoration. A building that has been wet, should never be left alone to dry on it own. MOLD WILL GROW. Call and speak a Certified Mold Inspector at Mold Inspections Los Angeles 888.399.3994.
Mold Inspection Los Angeles – Support and Services
Our company offers a virtually unlimited list of capabilities because of our vast corporate networking. Within our alliance are companies of all sizes. When it comes to our business, we offer our customers a powerful resource and a recipe for success. Listed below is a comprehensive list of services we offer our clients.
- Initial Mold Inspection/Investigations
- Design Services: trained and certified mold inspectors ensure proper planning and implementation of your project(s).
- Project Assistance: Customers are supported through Project Assistance referrals to a Certified Mold Inspector (consultant) and ensuring top quality planning and demolition.
- Project Management and monitoring by a certified mold professional during your mold remediation.
- Post remediation mold inspection/investigation assessment including air samples, visual investigation and moisture measurements providing you with a mold certificate of clearance.
Lead Inspection Los Angeles
- Project Monitor will arrive on-site before, during and after Lead surface removal on any residential or public building.
- Design Services, certified Lead consultants ensure proper planning and implementation of a scheduled work site/ plan protocols.
- Project clearance and verification of lead free work areas.